Even the world’s best replacement window (and we think we have them right here at Rescom, with our Bristol® Windows) won’t deliver the best performance unless it is properly installed, seated, and sealed. The installation process is a critical step in making sure you are getting the most value from your new windows.
Professional installation is especially important for energy savings. A well-insulated vinyl replacement window, with a low-e glass package, has been known to cut heating and cooling costs by 30 percent or more. But those savings are – pardon the pun – thrown out the window if there are gaps, cracks or poor seals around the window frame.
At Rescom our window teams have successfully installed thousands of replacement windows in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island. For every window installed they pay close attention to the details to ensure a tight fit. It also helps that every Bristol Window we install is custom sized for your home, virtually eliminating the need for adjustments during installation.
Still, here are some “tests” to run on your new windows before signing off on the installation.
- Start by making sure the window opens and closes properly. Sashes should go up easily, without sticking, and stay up without slipping down on their own. Sliding windows should travel smoothly back and forth. And casement windows should crank in and out without too much effort.
- Open the bottom sash of your new single-hung or double-hung window just a little bit. The opening should be the same height at both ends of the sash. That means the window is “plumb” and installed squarely. Do the same on the top sash.
- Feel around the edges of the window for even the slightest bit of cool air blowing around the frame. There should be none if the window is properly sealed.
- Test the window locks to make sure they are aligned and latch properly.
- If your new window has a tilt-in feature, test it out so you’ll know how it works.
The best way to ensure a proper installation is to hire a window company with the experience needed to do the job right. Make the call today to Rescom Exteriors at (866) 410-5884 today to schedule a free in-home window replacement consultation and estimate.