From rattling panes to sticking frames, there are many things that can cause annoyance with your windows. But in addition to being annoying, these problems should be addressed right away so as not to cause further damage or hike up your energy bills. Let’s take a look at five signs that your current windows need to be replaced:
- Rattling panes: This means your window no longer properly fits. Perhaps it was improperly installed in the first place. Maybe over time, it has lost its seals and weather stripping, possibly leading to degradation of the frame itself. Because rattling panes don’t fit perfectly, you’re losing energy literally right out your window.
- Sticking or loose frames: If you are having difficulty opening and closing your windows, this could be a sign that the frames are warping. This is normal and happens over time, especially if you have sub-par windows to begin with. Sometimes, sticking windows are normal when it is very humid out. But if you continually experience difficulty moving them up and down during normal circumstances, this signals a bigger problem, such as a failure of balance. The situation is even worse if the window fails to stay open and slams shuts as you walk away.
- Frost or condensation inside glass: This can happen when indoor air cools against a cold window pane, causing it to lose its ability to hold in moisture. That water will build up and eventually encourage the growth of mold. If you see your windows “sweating” a lot or if there is condensation constantly clouding the two panes of glass, this indicates the seal has broken. Window replacement is the only remedy.
- Cracked frames: Are you noticing cracks in your window frames? These visible fractures can translate to safety issues. Those jagged edges can cut fingers as you attempt to open the window. This may also result in window failure as the cracks become worse and you can’t open the window at all.
- Furnace or AC kicks in too often: Perhaps you are noticing your energy bills have been higher than usual. Maybe your furnace or AC is cycling too often. This means your windows are doing a poor job of insulating your home. Because those drafts are causing you to lose precious heat and cold air, your HVAC system is working overtime just to keep you comfortable.
If you’re tired of failing windows, improper operation, or sky-high energy bills, it’s time to give your home a facelift with replacement windows. Call Rescom Exteriors at 508-832-5202.