One of the questions we are frequently asked is, “When should I replace my windows?” There is not a clear cut answer, as there are so many variations in window styles, home architecture, etc. But there are some notable indications that it might be time to replace old, drafty and worn out windows with windows that are engineered and built to be more efficient and durable. Here are five signs to look for that might mean your windows need to be replaced.
- Your curtains billow and move on their own while your windows are closed. That means that air from the outside is infiltrating through your window glass or frame. If air is coming in, air is also leaking out, which forces you to pay more to heat and cool your home.
- Frost and condensation forms on the inside of your windows. This indicates that cold exterior temperatures are seeping through the glass and freezing moisture on the interior surface. Newer windows generally remain warm to the touch on even the coldest days.
- Your windows are difficult to open, or so loose they rattle in their frames. Sticking windows could mean the frame has warped, which can open gaps to outside air. Loose windows mean a gap has opened between the sash and frame – another route for energy loss.
- Your windows are more than 10 years old. Tremendous advances in window frame materials, glass, engineering and manufacturing have been made in the last decade. Today’s replacement windows are like rockets ships when compared to the single pane, wood frame clunkers that were installed in many New England homes years ago.
- Your windows are difficult to clean. If you have a hard time keeping the glass clean it may be that it has become pitted and clouded over the years. Or maybe you simply can reach your windows to clean them properly without hauling a bucket up a rickety ladder. Either way, many newer windows have a “tilt-in” feature that provide complete and easy access to both inside and outside surfaces for cleaning.
If your home’s windows show any of these signs, the time has probably come to replace them. Call Rescom at (866) 410-5884 to schedule a free, in-home demonstration of our high quality, award-winning replacement windows.