If you are considering window replacement for your home, you’ll want to know how to select the best windows as well as the best company to install them. We offer you this handy checklist when determining the best options. Here’s what to ask a replacement window company, and when to ask it…
- Point of contact name and number
- Years in business
- Proof of Insurance coverage (general liability and workman’s comp)
- BBB rating
- Waiver of subcontractor lien (for those who utilize subcontractors)
- Customer referrals
Looking at Window Types
- Energy efficiency
- Low-E glass
- Material (vinyl, aluminum, wood, fiberglass)
- Double vs. triple pane
- Solar heat gain
- EnergyStar qualifications
- Color of trim (interior and exterior)
- Warranties (manufacturer’s, glass, labor, accident)
Considering Installation and Job Details
- Do you have hourly employees on staff or do you hire subcontractors?
- Will a company representative be present when the job starts?
- Will you insulate around the new window frames?
- Will you remove and discard of old window frames or am I responsible for that?
- Will you provide full cleanup of all debris?
- What will you do if you find wood rot?
- Will you apply touch-up paint to the interior if needed?
- Will you remove blinds and curtains, then re-install after windows are in?
- How long will this job take?
- What is the approximate start and end date?
- Will you offer a post-installation walk through?
Finalizing the Contract
- Get everything in writing!
- Ask about the cost per window.
- Find out what the option cost per window is, along with cost for rot repair.
- Get a printout of the payment schedule (i.e., typically one-third for initial deposit, one-third for start of job and one-third for completion)
- Get a signed copy of the payment schedule and contract.
- Ask about the three-day “right of rescission,” which allows either party to cancel the contract within a specified amount of time.
Post-Installation Walk Through
Once your new windows have been installed, make sure you complete a post-installation walk through with the contractor to ensure:
- Properly installed insulation around frames
- Windows are sealed and caulked sufficiently
- Screens and windows are not damaged
- Exterior is complete with new cladding or touch-up paint
- Interior is complete with no damage to walls and application of touch-up paint or stain
- The locks work properly
- Windows operate as they should
- All windows have been double checked
To ensure you get superior replacement window installation, it’s important to ask questions and follow up on concerns. Rescom Exteriors offers you quality products and professional installation. Call us now to learn about our window replacement process at 508-832-5202.